[Pgpool-general] Pgpool almost 20 times slower than normal postgres

Fernando Morgenstern fernando at consultorpc.com
Thu Jan 28 10:59:42 UTC 2010

Hello,

We have been trying to identify what is causing our db cluster to be so slow but, as this is the first one that i am working, i am not sure if what i am getting is normal or not.

Basically we have a JSP script that connects to database and run a simple query on a table that currently have 23 rows:

 select id,name from mytable;

This script returns the query time. So, when we run agains postgres directly, we get about 2 miliseconds.

But when we run against pgpool ( with 1-4 nodes, tried with all node count ), we get 40-42 miliseconds.

What i would like to ask is it this is the normal behavior or could be something wrong with my setup?

Is there anything that i can do to speed up it?

Pgpool version is 2.3.1.

Best Regards,
---

Fernando Marcelo