[Pgpool-general] which is advantage of master/slave mode vs replication on pgpool-II

Steven Crandell steven.crandell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 20:17:36 UTC 2010

The details of master/slave vs replication modes are detailed pretty well
here: http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html

In general, master/slave mode assumes that there is some other replication
software involved replicating data from the master to the slaves (slony,
mammoth, etc)
Replication mode means that pgpool will take care of the replication itself.

I'm a big fan of the mammoth replication system so the advantage of
master/slave replication mode for me is that I can use pgpool to load
balance my queries while still counting on mammoth to handle my replication.
 I haven't use pgpool in replication mode so I can't speak to any strengths
or weaknesses there.  It basically comes down to apples vs. oranges.  It's
two completely different methods to accomplish basically the same thing.

-s