[Pgpool-general] pgpool losing queries

Daniel Codina dcodina at laigu.net
Sat Feb 27 09:49:39 UTC 2010

Thanks for answering Tatsuo,

The test I did was:

1) for loop inserting 50 values to a table.
2) stop one of the servers (in that moment the client in the loop gives the
error I commented)
3) The online backup starts and works perfectly.
4) I look for all the values in the table, and, in fact, there is one
missing value.

I see is not a big problem, and more now that I just lose one insert (not
7)(still if would be preferable not to). As an input, still if maybe you
already know that, I think the problem is the health check. I think that,
this problem occurs when the client is trying to insert a value to pgpool,
and thisone has the two nodes with status 2, but one of them it is already
down,... then the insert is lost. I suppose it is because the health check
is done every second, and my inserts too, so, if my insert arrives before
the health check (that makes pgpool correct the node to status 3) it is
lost.

Maybe would be good if pgpool would send the insert to the nodes still up,
but, if it is difficult, maybe it would be possible to reduce the minium
time of the health checks to something "close to zero".

I hope this feedback could help you to make it yet better this projet.

Anyway, in my particular case, now, is more problematic the "unplug wire"
problem,... wich makes pgpool get crazy (in my case), and stop receiving
queries forever. I discovered the "SYN_SENT" thing, but, reduceing the
number could make some other aplications (like ssh) stop working properly.

Thanks!