[Pgpool-general] Replication conncetions failing; help with debugging?

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Sat Aug 28 17:47:49 UTC 2010

>> On the client:
>> Connection for session 0x4bf5867000003b70 failed: server closed the
>> connection unexpectedly
>>          This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>>          before or while processing the request.
>
> I'm not sure what kind of client you are using but did it happend at
> the same time below?

I can't establish precise to-the-second timing.

>> 2010-08-27 21:00:16 LOG:   pid 30231: ProcessFrontendResponse: failed to
>> read kind from frontend. frontend abnormally exited
>
> This message indicates that your client disconnected the connection to
> pgpool, at least from the pgpool's point of view.

It's pgreplay on the front-end, which uses libpq and the asynchronous
protocol.  I'd just assume that async connections were incompatible with
pgpool, execept that the same client worked in load-balancing,
master-slave mode without errors.  It's just in pgpool replication mode
that it fails.

There also seems to be a variable amount of time before the error is
encountered; anywhere from 1 and 60 seconds (and since this is pgreplay,
it's running the exact same queries each time).  So it's not on the
first statement.

What does "detect error: kind: S" mean?

--
                                   -- Josh Berkus