[Pgpool-general] pgpool-ii hierarchy/structure

Gibbotronic gibbotronic at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 28 13:04:35 UTC 2009

Hello

As I understand it, pgpool-ii is set up so that a backend of servers sit
and wait for communications from the client-facing pgpool-ii server.
Since pgpool acts as statement based replication, is it possible to set
up more than two pgpool-ii servers facing clients?

I am curious as this would be a method of load-balancing even further.
For example, if pgpool-ii server has a high load on it, it would make
sense to have another pgpool server serving requests, even if they're
pointing to the same backend servers. It would offer another level of
load balancing capability.

Example in diagram form:

level3. backend1, backend2, backend3   <----- backend postgres servers
level2. pgpool1, pgpool2 <---- pgpool servers working with backend1, 2
and 3
level1. web servers A,B,C,D,E,F <------ Clients of the pgpool servers

Is this possible? Am I right in my belief that the backend postgres
servers themselves do not care or know if they're in a pool, that is,
the only bit of software that makes this logically into a pool of
servers is pgpool itself?

Many thanks in advance
Rich