[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II replication stopped working after couple of weeks

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Oct 20 15:00:49 UTC 2009

> > When you are saying "create table didn't work", what do you see in
> > pgpoo and PostgreSQL log? That's the starting point.
> >

> >> what does 'detect_error: kind: Z' means ?
> >>

> > It's normal.
> > --
> > Tatsuo Ishii
> > SRA OSS, Inc. Japan
> >

> I continue trying, I didn't have detailed enough logs in the first time,
> now i do,
> the replication gets out of sync every couple of days, I'm investigating
> the logs now
> to understand whats gone wrong, and thats what i see :
>
> at some point in time, the log of the secondary backend is finished, no
> more activity,
> although postgres continue to run as normal (suppose to serve only for
> pgpool-II)
> I look in pgpool log at same point in time, seeing nothing unusual,
> (but users get  errors saying : ERROR:  pgpool detected difference of
> the number of inserted, updated or deleted tuples. Possible last query
> was:...)
>
> looks like at some point pgpool stops sending queries to the secondary
> backend, but, again,
> nothing in pgpool logs, even NUM_BACKENDS says '2', (although
> occasionally it also says '1')
>
> how can I debug this ?

You can use "show pool_status" SQL command to see if pgpool actually
operates in replication mode.

> (but users get  errors saying : ERROR:  pgpool detected difference of
> the number of inserted, updated or deleted tuples. Possible last query
> was:...)

"Possible last query " is a really valuable information to know why
pgpool detects difference between DB ndes.

And as usual, you'd better to provide more details, such as pgpool-II
version, pgpool.conf contents...