[Pgpool-general] connection pooling

Mark mark at mitsein.net
Fri Oct 9 13:41:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 1:46 AM, Jaume Sabater <jsabater at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Mark <mark at mitsein.net> wrote:
>
> > However, when I start one connection with psql, I see a pgpool and a
> > postgresql process for that connection.  I leave that one open and start
> > new connection in the same way and now there are two pgpool processes and
> > two postgresql processes with the same properties.  How is that reusing
> > anything?
>
> Once the maximum configured number of connections is reached, it will
> start reusing them. What else would you expect?
>
> Well, I expected exactly that.  I tried an experiment by setting
num_init_children to 10 and max_pool to 10.  I fired up one application
which initiates 10 db connections.  The next application was not allowed a
connection.  I expected that pgpool would pool the 10 connections from the
fist app into one child.  Since it seems that it does not, I don't
understand what good max_pool does me.