[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II 2.2.5 slamming the CPU

Steven Crandell steven.crandell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 18:11:02 UTC 2009

I'm seeing this also with pgpool-II-2.2.5 running on ubuntu server, kernel
2.6.24.
Given pgpool's handling method for connections over the num_init_children
(queuing), I have to set num_init_children high enough to ensure children
are never depleted (> 1000).
When all those children respawn every $child_life_time seconds I see load
spikes upwards of 60

That said, there does not appear to be any operational impact on the pgpool
server, I am just seeing load spikes similar to what Aleksey mentioned
turning my monitoring solution red multiple times a day.

I would think that one work around would be to set child_max_connections
sufficiently low that children respawn because they have reached
child_max_connections rather than than child_life_time.  If I'm
understanding the situation correctly this would cause child respawns to
happen more serially rather than all children respawning together every
$child_life_time seconds.

-s