[Pgpool-general] Trying to understand how pgpool does failover.

Tim Uckun timuckun at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 20:25:46 UTC 2009

I have read the documentation on the pgpoolII web site and I have a couple
of questions on how I can achieve high availability.

My primary confusion comes from the fact that once a node has fallen down
pgpool starts a recovery process which copies over the files from another
database. Does this mean I should not set up log shipping between the two
servers?

During the second stage of recovery pgpool stops taking statements. How long
does that take? Do the clients get errors during that time? Why doesn't it
simply queue the requests to the node that is down and send them when the
node is back up?

If I use pgpool itself for replication (as opposed to only for load
balancing) how are non deterministic values like now, and serial values
dealt with. Is there anything I should to my applicaiton to deal with non
deterministic updates?

I am sure I will have many more questions as I start implementing. I
appreaciate your patience.

Thanks.