[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II 2.2 on Debian not allowing new connections

Adrian Heath adrian.heath at tracktrans.com
Wed Mar 25 18:24:24 UTC 2009

Just as a follow up, we are using pgpool for replication, not connection
pooling.

Client application is mixture of Microsoft Visual FoxPro 9 (via odbc)
and java GWT-based applications.  Some of VFP applications run as
scheduled jobs so start, connect via pgpool, run the queires/updates,
disconnect and exit and I can see the connections appearing/disappearing
on the database (pgAdmin 1.8.4 again via pgpool).

With connection caching enabled, the number of connections opened by VFP
routines did not close when the application exited so the concurrent
connections kept growing until the server reached its maximum number of
connections.  Setting connection caching false cured this problem.