[Pgpool-general] connection problems

Gerd König koenig at transporeon.com
Mon Mar 16 13:08:26 UTC 2009

Hello,

looks like I'm too stupid to connect to pgpool instance from a remote host :-(
Why ?
If I call "psql -h infra01 -p 9999 -U postgres", where "infra01" is the host
serving pgpool, I get the error:
"
psql: could not connect to server: Connection refused
        Is the server running on host "infra01" and accepting
        TCP/IP connections on port 9999?
"

O.K., normally I would say, I have to check pg_hba.conf/pool_hba.conf.....but:

a) there is no pool_hba.conf, and in pgpool.conf the parameter "enable_pool_hba"
is set to "false"

b) pgpool is listening on port 9999 => pgpool.conf:
# Port number for pgpool
port = 9999

c) from host infra01 I can open psql via "psql -p 9999" without any problems =>
pgpool is running and really listens on that port

d) there are no firewall rules active on _both_ nodes =>
#> iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

e) some days ago, as on infra01 pgpool 2.1 was installed, everything worked

Can't I see the forest but the trees......what else can I check ?

many thanks in advance....GERD....

PS: pgpool version 2.2, postgresql version 8.3.5, both hosts running opensuse