[Pgpool-general] INSERT slow on one system not on another

Jaume Sabater jsabater at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 14:49:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Łukasz Jagiełło
<lukasz.jagiello at gforces.pl> wrote:

> I know it's really easy findout solution better then ext3 but what
> about reiserfs vs xfs ? Really like to read some tests that shows when
> xfs (or maybe always) is better/faster then reiserfs. Maybe not really
> tests like bonnie++, iozone or some other but live operations at
> postgresql.

That is very difficult to find due to the nature of the benchmarks
required. It would be very time consuming. Yet, you just need to think
of the size of the files inside your /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main/base
and /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main/pg_xlog directories and how will
ReiserFS and XFS handle them. Due to the size and the fact that delete
operations (in which ReiserFS is the fastest FS available) do not
happen often, XFS will be the best option.

Regarding the reliability, I've lost data twice with ReiserFS on a
live mail server and a test mail server, while with XFS I've never had
any problem in all the servers I've used it in, which include 8 years
and all sort of applications, not only mail or databases.

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net/

"Ubi sapientas ibi libertas"