[Pgpool-general] Help in pgpool loadbalancing

Steven Crandell steven.crandell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 20:03:09 UTC 2009

As far as I understand things, you would still be seeing
inserts/updates/deletes on backend node 0 even if it is weighted to 0
because pgpool considers this node to be the master and therefore the only
node capable of accepting new data.
e.g. the weight of a node in a master/slave configuration only determines
the number of selects being sent to slaves.

I run a 3 node cluster with mammoth replicator replicating data from master
to slaves and have set up pgpool with node 0 set to weight 0 and the other
two slaves set to 0.5.

My intention with this configuration is for the master to only ever receive
INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statement and to have all SELECT statements sent to the
two slaves in a 50%/50% split.  Thereby, the cluster is able to scale up to
the point where the number of writes exceed the capabilities of the master
without wasting master system resources on reads.

So far this setup seems to work but I must admit that this configuration
does not seem to be clearly documented anywhere that I could find despite it
being a fairly typical need for a 3rd party replication solutions.

If my assumptions about this are wrong I hope someone with more experience
in this area will pipe up.

-s