[Pgpool-general] Confusing... pgpool starts on both nodes, but don't replicate.

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Mon Jul 6 00:22:50 UTC 2009

> Thanks to all. Now I understand better how pgpool works.
> Now I've been able to made some successful test. Replication Mode is
> working perfectly.
> The problem now is a little bit diferrent... I've just made a backup
> from the postgres production database, and freshly imported in two new
> databases in docsys and docsys2.
> The problem is when I try any kind of connection to pgpool (in 9999
> port) I have the "kind mismatch error".
>
> ex:
> docsys:/home/rubenalves# /usr/lib/postgresql/8.3/bin/pgbench -i -h
> docsys -p 9999 imm_dbv12 -U postgres
> ERROR:  kind mismatch among backends. Possible last query was: "SET
> search_path = public" kind details are: 0[C] 1[N]
> HINT:  check data consistency among db nodes
>     This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>     before or while processing the request.
> docsys:/home/rubenalves#
>
> I really can't understand because the both databases are IDENTICAL, how
> pgpool may find some differences?
>
> Someone got an idea about this error?

You need to show us the log output with pgpool-II debug option
"-d".

Besides this, to make two databases "identical" by using
pg_dump/pg_restore is not enough for pgpool-II. pgpool-II requires two
database nodes "phyically identical". For this purpose you should use
tar/rsync or whatever tools to make a identical copy of database. In
your case probably you restore first database node by using pg_restore
then copy to second one by using tar or rsync.