[Pgpool-general] Confusing... pgpool starts on both nodes, but don't replicate.

» Ruben Alves rubenalves at fm.ul.pt
Thu Jul 2 10:25:23 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,
I installed pgpool with postgreSQL on Monday. I've been busy since
yesterday morning, and in the afternoon I've tried to configure
following those instructions:

    * http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html#start
    * http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/tutorial-en.html#replication

Everything is running fine, pgptool is running, listening for news
connections etc.. But NOTHING happens. If I change something in node1
(docsys) nothing is replicated on node2 (docsys2).

I have this king of configuration (exactly the same file for node1 and
node2):

[....]
# Replication mode
replication_mode = true

# Load balancing mode, i.e., all SELECTs are load balanced.
load_balance_mode = true

# if there's a data mismatch between master and secondary
replication_stop_on_mismatch = false
[...]

[...]
#set pgpool2 hostname
pgpool2_hostname = 'docsys'

# system DB info
system_db_hostname = 'docsys'
system_db_port = 5432
system_db_dbname = 'pgbench'
system_db_schema = 'pgbench_public'
system_db_user = 'pgpool_001'
system_db_password = 'pass'

# backend_hostname, backend_port, backend_weight
# here are examples
backend_hostname0 = 'docsys'
backend_port0 = 5432
backend_weight0 = 1
backend_data_directory0 = '/backup/postgres/data_001/'

backend_hostname1 = 'docsys2'
backend_port1 = 5433
backend_weight1 = 1
backend_data_directory1 = '/backup/postgres/data_002/'
[...]

(I've just paste parts of the config file in order to not flood this ML)

I don't really understand how pgpool initialize the replication system.
I've build a MySQL replication system (master-slaves) and maybe i'm too
focused on this past experience.

Can somebody give me a hand ?

--
Ruben Alves