[Pgpool-general] Idea: peer-to-peer app architecture with pgpool?

alex koalillo at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 13 23:35:56 UTC 2009

Jaume Sabater wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:33 PM, alex <koalillo at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> Is it? Can I run several pgpool instances pool_a, pool_b, pool_c, each
>> replicating to Postgres servers pg_a, pg_b and pg_c?
>>
>> Won't they step on each other? Is there any special thing I need to
>> consider?
>
> No, because you will only have one active pgpool at a time. All pgsql
> servers will be online. You can provide HA to pgpool with Heartbeat.

Oh, I was thinking in the possibility of active pgpools in all nodes.

This way, each app server talks to a pgpool instance on the same node,
with no load balancing- load balancing is taken care of via app server
load balancing.

Ascii drawing:

    /--> App --> PgPool ---> PG
    |                    |
    |                    | Write queries
LB +--> App --> PgPool --> PG
    |                    | Write queries
    \--> App --> PgPool --> PG

Read queries incur no network latency, app is load balanced. Nodes are
homogeneous.

Thoughts?

Alex