[Pgpool-general] pgpool restart

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Feb 6 01:19:57 UTC 2009

> Hi All,
>
> I changed the pgpool.conf and tried to restart pgpool with "pgpool
> restart" in admin account.
> On the screen, I see
> ------------------------------------
> 2009-02-05 09:50:30 LOG:   pid 8477: cmd: restart
> 2009-02-05 09:50:30 LOG:   pid 8477: restart request sent to pid 8455
> ------------------------------------
>
> However, Nothing has been changed, I type 'psql -c "show pool_status;"',
> I can still see the old configuration? How to restart pgpool safe?
>
> Shall I try "pgpool stop" and then "pgpool"?
> Will this cause a server in short time not available?

I assume you ae using pgpool-II 2.1. There's no such a thing "restart"
with pgpool command. Probably you are talking about your own init
script?

Anyway, to restart pgpool you need to stop then start. I imagine this is
what your script is doing as "restart" but not sure cause I don't know
what is like your script.

If there's an active connection to pgpool, then pgpool needs to wait
until it's gone. I suspect this is what you are observing. If this is
your problem, you could either tell users "hey, logout now!" or use
"-m f" option to force pgpool stop.

Another thing I would like to suggest is, you could use "reload"
option. This is nice since pgpool don't need to stop and start to
reflect new config values. Please note that not all config values are
changed with reload. Some of them need restarting. See the manual for
more details.