[Pgpool-general] some basic questions

Jaume Sabater jsabater at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 10:42:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 8:35 AM, Gerd König <koenig at transporeon.com> wrote:

> 2.) get back to sync after database failure

[..]

> => works, but isn't that nice since this causes database downtime and I
> think there are better ways ;-)

You may want to try online recovery with PostgreSQL's PITR.

> 3.) make pgpool-II high available
> ---------------------------------
> to get rid of a single-point-of-failure I'm thinking of installing
> pgpool-II on both database-nodes and let heartbeat check the
> availability of the "main" pgpool-II installation and switch the virtual
> IP in the case of a failure.

It is "THE" way to go in my opinion. It is the way I've implemented it
and it's working flawlessly here. I wrote a tutorial on it (in
Spanish) which is ready to be published. As soon as my editor
publishes it on paper I'll upload it to my website and post a link
here. If you can read Spanish, I can forward the relevant parts to
you.

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net/