[Pgpool-general] Consistency issues

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Dec 22 15:02:20 UTC 2009

> > Hi Fernando,
> >
> > Thanks for the info. Oh, pgpool's recovery process connects to
> > template1. That was the cause of the problem. Pgpool should connects
> > to "postgres" database instead of template1, I think. Will fix.
> > --
> > Tatsuo Ishii
>
> Was this introduced in 2.3.x or is this same behavior occurring on all
> pgpool-II versions?

All pgpool-II versions.

> If it is not too much to ask, what does pgpool-II do with template1
> database (that seems to be wrong and therefore postgres database will be
> used)?

pgpool-II connects to PostgreSQL template1 database to execute custom
C functions while doing recovery. The database is not necessarily to
be template1. Actually whatever database is ok, as long as it does
exist. The reson why template1 has been chosen, was just it always
exists. Recent version of PostgreSQL has postgres database, which
seems to be better used by apparent reason.

Probably pgpool-II should first tries to connect to postgres
database. If it fails (probably because PostgreSQL version is too old,
therefore postgres database does not exist) then connects to
template1.