[Pgpool-general] [pgpool-general] load balancing for dummies

Jaume Sabater jsabater at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 21:29:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Jaime Casanova
<jcasanov at systemguards.com.ec> wrote:

>> That is unnecessary as pgpool-II already checks for volatile
>> components of the query and acts according to it,
>
> really?
>
> the manual says (and no mention at all about volatile functions):

I don't have the changelog of version 2.3, which I was referring to. I
am re-reading my previous post and I now realise that I expressed
myself very poorly. Pgpool-II does cover volatile "functions" such as
NOW, TIMESTAMP, and similar, but you still have to specify in the
query syntax that you want it to act accordingly. Still, pgpool-II
does not cover all cases and still needs to work under certain
"restrictions".

Tatsuo may want to be more precise regarding this topic (he always is).

Still, not sure what you are expecting or what you thought it would
provide you with. As a short answer to your opening post in this
thread, I would say it cover some cases but it's not bullet-proof. It
works for us, but it does not cover all possible scenarios (at least
not without certain sacrifices).

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net/