[Pgpool-general] replication between 32 bit and 64 bit server

Asaf asaf at lingnu.com
Sun Aug 30 08:10:14 UTC 2009

Filip Rembiałkowski wrote:

>>> PS. I would rather not use pgpool for replication - it adds some limitations/gotchas (think of volatile functions like random or current_timestamp).
>>> I'd use pgpool only for LB and pooling - and leave replication to slony or skytools.
>>>

>> I've tried slony, but it requires alot of maintainece,
>>

> ouch. why? follow these steps to setup slony-I with slon-tools:
>
> * write the config file
> * slonik_init_cluster
> * slonik_create_set set1
> * slon_start 1
> * slon_start 2
> * slonik_subscribe_set set1 2

yes, but what if you want to run DDL every now and then ?
my users are developers of the database, they change it every day.
if they change existing table, sometimes the replication will stop working,
and if they add new tables, they will not by automatically replicated.

I've spend quite some time with Slony-I, maybe I have missed something ?

>> I'm looking for something completely transparent to users,
>> such as mysql replication, pgpool seemed to do the job
>>

> slony-I (or other trigger-based) replication is actually more
> transparent than pgpool-ii replication.

I mean transparency like : adding / removing / changing tables, without
thinking about the replication.

--
Asaf Ohaion
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd