[Pgpool-general] replication between 32 bit and 64 bit server

Asaf asaf at lingnu.com
Thu Aug 27 09:46:32 UTC 2009

Filip Rembiałkowski wrote:

> 2009/8/26 Asaf <asaf at lingnu.com <mailto:asaf at lingnu.com>>
>
>     is it possible to establish replication between 32 bit and 64 bit
>     server
>
> yes, sure.
>

>     (say pgpool-II on 32 bit node along with 1 postgresql, replicating
>     to 64 bit secondary server)
>

>     if this is possible, how can I initialize the replication for
>     existing data ?
>

>     (how to make the initial synchronization?)
>

> with dump and restore.
>
> instead of using rsync or tar,
> use pg_dumpall (for all databases) or pg_dump (for one database) and
> restore the dump on second machine with psql and/or pg_restore.
>
> pg_dumpall  | psql -h othermachine postgres
>
> see Backup section in the docs:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/backup.html

I did that, replication didn't work, so I thought the pg_dumpall is not
good enough for this,
when something don't work, how can I get more details from pgpool (i
didn't see errors, and it said he had 2 backends)

> PS. I would rather not use pgpool for replication - it adds some
> limitations/gotchas (think of volatile functions like random or
> current_timestamp).
> I'd use pgpool only for LB and pooling - and leave replication to
> slony or skytools.

I've tried slony, but it requires alot of maintainece,
I'm looking for something completely transparent to users,
such as mysql replication, pgpool seemed to do the job

--
Asaf Ohaion
Lingnu Open Source Consulting Ltd