[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II 2.2.3 and version 2 protocol

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Tue Aug 18 09:15:09 UTC 2009

Hi,

It appears that pgpool-II 2.2.3 does not work with version 2
protocol. The protocol has been used with PostgreSQL 7.3.x or
before. And, I'm not sure though, some drivers such as ODBC are said
to be still using the protocol. In this case pgpool-II 2.2.3 tries to
send version 3's "param" packet, if a query takes longer than 1
second, which does not exist in the protocol and clients get confused.

Since there's no equivalent of "param" exists in the version 2
protocol, I have modified to issue notice message. However it is
annoying and is not suitable for interactive DB applications. For this
reason, I ifdef out the part of the code, which means that handling
ungracefull client exiting in pgpool-II 2.2.3 does not work with
version 2 protocol. If you wish to enable the part you could define a
variable in the code. I really dislike this workaround. If you have
better idea, please let me know.

Otherwise I will release 2.2.4 within a few days...