[Pgpool-general] Inconsistent execution sequence

Xu Qian Qian.Xu at funkwerk-itk.com
Fri Apr 10 02:27:17 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I have encountered a problem. I have two pgpool connections. Both try to
execute the same statements:
 1. BEGIN;
 2. UPDATE table SET column1='NewValue' WHERE id=10000;
 3. END;

Sometimes they go into dead lock situation. After debugging I have found
out, the sequence of these statements are inconsistent on both database,
if they are executed at a same time (at millisecond-level)

CONN1  | CONN2  | DB1        | DB2
-------+--------+------------+---------------
BEGIN  |        | BEGIN (1)  | BEGIN (1)
       | BEGIN  | BEGIN (2)  | BEGIN (2)
UPDATE |        | UPDATE (1) |
       | UPDATE | UPDATE (2) | UPDATE (2)  <- Problem
       |        |            | UPDATE (1)
END    |       <- Never be executed
       | END   <- Never be executed

Can someone confirm this? Is this regarded as a bug of pgpool?

Best regards
--Qian