[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II documentation

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Apr 9 01:03:08 UTC 2009

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a more in-depth documentation of pgpool?

Before stepping into pgpool internal, it' s best to understand how
PostgreSQL frontend/backend protocol works. See "Frontend/Backend
Protocol".

> I'm mostly interested in how pgpool does the replication process (how it ensures consistency, especially under load_balance_mode).

There are some explanation in the pgpool-II docs(the latest one
is:http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html).

Look into around:
http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/pgpool-en.html#config
replicate_select

    When set to true, pgpool-II replicate SELECTs. If false, pgpool-II
    only sends them to Master DB. Default is false.

and:

http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/pgpool-II/doc/load_balance.png

Also I'm going to give a talk at PGCon 2009 in Ottawa. I would like to
talk about how pgpool-II tries to keep the consistency among databases.