[Pgpool-general] setting up replication

Sean Brown sbrown at eaglepress.com
Tue Apr 7 22:28:04 UTC 2009

I am trying to setup replication and it seems to be trying to work, but
errors out when I try to connect from pgadmin.

The error is:
2009-04-07 18:06:59 ERROR: pid 6867: read_kind_from_backend: 2 th kind N
does not match with master or majority connection kind C
2009-04-07 18:06:59 ERROR: pid 6867: kind mismatch among backends.
Possible last query was: "SET DateStyle=ISO;SELECT oid,
pg_encoding_to_char(encoding) AS encoding, datlastsysoid
  FROM pg_database WHERE datname='postgres'" kind details are: 0[C] 1[C]
2[N]

It doesn't make much sense as manually running that returns:
SELECT oid, pg_encoding_to_char(encoding) AS encoding, datlastsysoid
FROM pg_database WHERE datname='postgres';
  oid  | encoding | datlastsysoid
 11511 | UTF8     |         11510
(1 row)

On all three nodes.

The only difference between the nodes is two are Xeon 5000's and one was
purchased later and is a Quad core opteron. With the query returning the
same thing on all three nodes, I don't see how that could cause the
problem.

The backend postgresql servers are running 8.3.7.

Any ideas?