[Pgpool-general] Question about Online Recovery

DM dm.aeqa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 22:17:09 UTC 2009

Its my mistake sorry for misleading, (its not primary and standby) its
master- master (active-active).

Q:The primary goes down. The secondary takes over and starts WAL shipping to
the old primary right?
A: I dont think there is any WAL shipping done by pgpool,
Recovery is done basically using the command pcp_recovery_node
If node1 is down, on executing the command pcp_recovery_node, node 2 data is
copied to node 1 and node 1 and 2 is reconnected to pgpool.
Q:What happens when the old one comes back up? How does it know it's now the
secondary and should go into single user apply WAL logs mode?
Both nodes are active.

Q:Is is possible for pgpool to act as a witness and tell the systems which
one is the primary and which one is the secondary?
Wait for experts to answer the question.

Hopefully i answered your questions, experts correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks
Deepak