[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II and online recovery process

Marcelo Martins pglists at zeroaccess.org
Wed Sep 10 05:44:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

I have recently setup a VM environment to test out an online recovery
process which works great. Basically I have the following.

pgpool-II 2.1 server:
1 - pgpool

3 postgresql 8.3.3 servers:
1 - db1  (backend_node0)
2 - db2  (backend_node1)
3 - db3  (backend_node2)

The 3rd PG server is kept in detached status so that I can use it for
online recovery tests.
I have created the scripts for 1st/2nd stage and also the
pg_remote_start script.
I can use pcp_recovery_node to bring a new node online (3rd PG server)
or recover one of the existing ones without any issues.

Now, until today all my previous tests on performing online recovery
involved calling pcp_recovery_node and during that time no clients
were using the database servers through pgpool of course. There was no
activity  going on on the database servers at all. So everything
worked great, pgpool went through 1st and 2nd stage and then called
the remote start and finished the recovery process. So server got
online and sync'd.

Then, today I tried to do the same but right before calling
pcp_recovery_node I started a pgbench process pointing to the pgpool
server to create some activity on the database. I was under the
impression that during 2nd stage pgpool would perhaps start to queue
some of the transactions along with not allowing new clients to
connect to it. Allowing the 2nd stage to occur and then bring the new
node online. Once the online recovery was finished, pgpool would go
through its queue and send those transactions to all nodes.
Is that not the case ? Cause basically it went through 1st stage and
then pcp_recovery_node timed out.

Thanks,
Any input appreciated

Marcelo