[Pgpool-general] Pgpool-general Digest, Vol 47, Issue 13

Edward Pilipczuk exedx7 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 13:22:35 UTC 2008

[cut]

> Ok, what about having new switch:
>
> client_idle_limit_in_recovery
>
> BTW, do we have to kill clients immediately even if they are *not*
> idle in online recovery as Tiago said?

[cut]

I think that the following mechanism would be nice.

It is easy to include into the first stage recovery script some commands
sending notifications to clients informing that connections shall be
relesed. Then we can wait gracefully some time (wait_on_release_in_recovery)
in second stage checkpoint that they are really relesed. If the grace period
passed and we have still open client connections, then next boolean variable
(release_clients_in_recovery) give us permission to shutdown immediately
remianed connections. If we are not permitted to do, then recovery process
can simply failed.

Unfortuntely I have no idea what to do for long transactions (connection in
use in transaction) :(

regards,
Edward