[Pgpool-general] kind mismatch between backends

Paul Houselander (SME) housey at sme-ecom.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 11:39:47 UTC 2008

Hi

Please bear with me as I'm very much a beginner with postgres and pgpool.

I have inherited a Postgres database and am looking at ways of improving
fail-over and resilience.

I've been looking at replication mode on pgpool and hit a problem.

I have pgpool installed with 2 backends, if I issue

createdb -P 9999 -U username paul_test

the database is created on both backends.

I've then created a table and issued some inserts and all the data is
replicated correctly on both backends.

I have then taken a copy (pg_dump) of my real database (on backend1) and
restored it to backend2 - at this point in time both db's have the same
info.

I start up pg_pool and let the client application (perl script) start
inserting data, as soon as it does I get

kind mismatch between backends

HINT:  check data consistency between master and other db node

I saw some reference to OID's so tried the pg_dump using -oids but still got
the same error.

Any help or pointers appreciated!

Thanks

Paul