[Pgpool-general] killing pgpool backends?

Glyn Astill glynastill at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 09:57:57 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 20/11/08, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at sraoss.co.jp> wrote:

> Are you using pgpool-II? If so, client_idle_limit might
> help you. If
> there's no activity from client side for seconds set by
> client_idle_limit, pgpool will disconnect the client.
>
> Also if you don' want to keep idle connection
> (connection pool) too
> long, you could use connection_life_time.

We have clients that will be idle quite often for a prelonged period of time so I don't think client_idle_limit will help us.  However connection_life_time sounds like it might, but I can't quite tell what it is that it does from the docs.

The docs say:

"Cached connections expiration time in seconds. The expired cached connection will be disconnected. Default is 0, which means the cached connections will not be disconnected."

Which makes me think that the connection is only dissconnected when the client is no longer connected at all.

But the config file says:

"# If idle for this many seconds, connection to PostgreSQL closes."

Which makes me think we cannot use this, because our clients that are connected but just inactive will get dissconected?

Also going back to my original guestion, when I go in and kill a pgpool backend am I right in thinking that to the postgres server this appears as nothing more serious than a connection being terminated?