[Pgpool-general] Question about the load balancing algorithm

Petr Janda elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Mon Nov 3 06:14:27 UTC 2008

Hi and thanks for what seems to be great software.

I have a couple of questions about pgpool-II's load balancing algorithm.

Lets say Im running in replication + load balancing mode and I have 2 nodes,
both have the same weights configured in pgpool.conf and a large SELECT query
that returns hundreds of thousands of rows of data is executed on node 1.
There are a few small queries being executed on node 2 at the same time.

Now what if there is another large SELECT query? is the algorithm smart enough
to find out that the previous large SELECT is still being executed on Node 1
and appropriately the second query is directed to Node 2 or the node
selection is only based on the statically defined weights?

Thanks a lot,
Petr Janda