[Pgpool-general] Online recovery by PITR questions

Nico -telmich- Schottelius nico-pgpool at schottelius.org
Fri May 2 14:03:30 UTC 2008

Hello!

I am currently trying to integrate online recovery with pgpool and I am
a bit confused by your script:

#! /bin/sh

# ok, this needs to be issued on some running backend, so I
# personally use pcp_node_count and pcp_node_info to get the
# ip address of a master (script follows, as soon as the
# cluster is running well
psql -c "select pg_start_backup('pgpool-recovery')" postgres

# I would favor /tmp/pgpool-recovery instead of /data,
# as it contains live data
echo "restore_command = 'scp master:/data/archive_log/%f %p'" > /data/recovery.conf

# I guess pgsql is the datadir I've with /var/lib/postgresql/8.3/main
# under debian?
tar -C /data -zcf pgsql.tar.gz pgsql

psql -c 'select pg_stop_backup()' postgres
scp pgsql.tar.gz secondary:/data

The whole script seems to imply that the master is running on the pgpool2 server,
which may not be the fact.

How will pgpool2 call copy-base-backup?
And has it to be deployed on all database backends?

Where is the pgpool_recovery_pitr script executed?
#! /bin/sh
psql -c 'select pg_switch_xlog()' postgres

And where is the pgsql.tar.gz used that was created in the first stage?

When and from where will pgpool_remote_start be called?

From the manual, seen in the example with pgpool_recovery,
 it seems that pgpool_remote_start
scripts get two parameters, but I am not sure where it gets called

And from the sample directory it seems the
recovery_1st_stage_command and recovery_2nd_stage_command
get three parameters, correct?

And is it no problem to do rsync recovery from a running database server?

And when and where is online-recovery triggered?

And how does it relate to the failover and fallback command?

Is attaching automatically done?

Sorry for all the questions, I am a bit confused.

Sincerly,

Nico

--
Think about Free and Open Source Software (FOSS).
http://nico.schottelius.org/documentations/foss/the-term-foss/

PGP: BFE4 C736 ABE5 406F 8F42  F7CF B8BE F92A 9885 188C