[Pgpool-general] pgpool in production

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Sat Mar 8 00:37:44 UTC 2008

> In a production environment, how do I keep pgpool from being a single point
> of failure?  I can use HA and replication to handle a database server
> failure but how do I handle possibly loosing the pgpool server?

There are two possible solutions:

1) Use add on HA soft such as heartbeat or something. You could find
   sample HA scripts for pgpool in our project page (it's called
   pgpool-HA). I'm not sure it works with pgpool-II but it should not
   be difficult to adopt to pgpool-II. Patches are welcome:-)

2) If you are using two or more web servers to run web applications,
   you could install pgpool on each web servers. With this, you could
   avoid a single point of failure of pgpool.