[Pgpool-general] pgpool-II and Amazon EC2

Łukasz Jagiełło lukasz.jagiello at gforces.pl
Sat Jul 26 10:41:26 UTC 2008

2008/7/25 Duncan McQueen <dwmcqueen at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> We are looking at implementing pgpool-II for its replication and load
> balancing features.  One of the points of our system is we have a
> defined time period during the day when the query level is higher than
> another.  We are exploring using Amazon's EC2 computing service to
> help out with the load (using pgpool-II's load balancer) during those
> defined times.
>
> Has anyone developed or worked on a similar idea?

Yeah. Got such working env. Got one proxy with static external IP, and
keep there pgpool/haproxy. Other instance are blind www/db backends.
When backend get up check at 'ec2-describe-instances' internal IP of
proxy and put in config files. Proxy once per 5-10min check what
backends got and add/del it from own config files. Atm I just quick
restart pgpool if notice there is new backend.

That env still new some features but it's working.

--
Łukasz Jagiełło
G-Forces Web Management Polska

T: +44 (0) 845 055 9040
F: +44 (0) 845 055 9038
E: lukasz.jagiello at gforces.pl
W: www.gforces.co.uk

This e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately. Do not disclose the
contents of this e-mail to any other person, use it for any purpose,
print, copy, store, or distribute it. This e-mail should then be
destroyed. Any views expressed in this message are those of the
individual sender except where the sender specifically states them to
be the views of G-Forces Web Management Ltd. Registered Office: 4 & 5
Kings Row, Armstrong Road, Maidstone, Kent. ME15 6AQ. Registered
Company No. 3863609. VAT Registration No. 7250 384 50