[Pgpool-general] Master/Slave Load Balancing Configuration

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Fri Jan 4 09:06:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 17:57 +0900, Yoshiyuki Asaba wrote:
> From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com>
> > Setup :
> > Slony 1 master, 1 slave - pg8.2.5, slony 1.12
> > pgpool - 2.01
> > OS : centos 4
> > Goal : SLony for replication
> > Pgpool for load balancing across multiple slaves+1master
> > listen_addresses = '*'
> > port = 9999
> > replication_mode = true
>
> If you use Slony-I, you need to set replication_mode to false.

> Can you set the following setting?
>
>   replication_mode = false
>   master_slave_mode = true
>   load_balance_mode = true
>   backend_hostname0 = 'pgmaster'
>   backend_port0 = 5432
>   backend_weight0 = 0.2
>   backend_hostname1 = 'pgslave1'
>   backend_port1 = 5432
>   backend_weight1 = 0.8

Actually, I did try this, (following the docs) but for the life of me, I
was not able to see/determine if load balancing was actually happening.

I did (more than) a few sample queries to see where I'm querying (eg:
Same table, but the tables has different data _just_ to see where pgpool
is sending the queries) but all I ever found was that all the queries
were going into pgmaster.

The debug logs did not show anything which says otherwise either.

additionall "show pool status" also does not show anything interesting)

pgpool -h
pgpool version 2.0.1(heemauli)

But I will give it the benefit of a doubt and retry again. Please tell
me how to see that it is working. Many Thanks.