[Pgpool-general] What level of difference is checked in replication?

A P afpalsson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 08:13:53 UTC 2008

Good morning.

A few days ago I was looking around for a tool to keep 2
postgresql-servers contain the same data so I found PGPool-II. It was
ridiculously easy to set up by just setting a few parameters.
Now my databases seem to be nicely synchronized. Excellent tool! :)

After some experiementing there's a few questions though.

Is it true that PGPool-II will only detect mismatches on number of
tables/rows and not row-data?

I manually added a new row in the second database but not in the first.
Querying via pgpool didn't give any indication that there was data mismatch?
It did yell however when I tried an UPDATE on the new row.

In the next step I removing the added row but instead modified the
integer value of a previously existing row.
It did not yell at all here.

Is the 'replication_stop_on_mismatch'-setting broken?
The above experiments never produced any logmessage about pgpool using
only one server when there was an error.

I use PGPool-II 2.0.1 and Postgresql 8.2.

Again, thank you for a very cool tool. :)