[Pgpool-general] questions about poolin, load balancing and other things

Marcelo Martins pglists at zeroaccess.org
Thu Dec 18 18:21:49 UTC 2008

Hi Tatsuo,

I understand that pgpool does pooling by saving the connections to PG
and reusing them when the same user/database is used and indeed I see
some pcp procs being reused 40+ times.  What I'm trying to figure out
here is, does pgpool just passes the new query it receives through
that same connection that has already been opened previously and such
will be reused by this new request coming from the same user to the
same database ?

How does pgpool queues its incoming connections when it starts to
receive more connections than num_init_children is available ? I'm
pretty sure here that the "child_life_time" setting would be the one
responsible for freeing up the pgpool a  child so that the new
connection queued can obtain access to PG through pgpool and execute
its query, correct ?

In regards to the load balancing, that can indeed be very helpful
specially since the master node is usually the one with a higher load.
I'm pretty sure this may not be possible right now but it would be
pretty cool if pgpool only opened a connection to the backend that it
chooses to run the SELECT query against. I'm pretty sure this may be
complicated to implement, if it all possible which may not be,  since
this would affect how pgpool handles connections.

Also you were right about the online recovery scripts. If I skip the
second base backup it seems 30-50% faster in most cases. What takes
the longest time is just the checkpoint that pg_start_backup has to do
while there is a lot of writes are being done to the DB. But the new
online recovery setting makes things perfect since the client just
keeps on trying to send the data over and eventually when the 2nd
stage is over the rest of all data resumes to be sent.

can't remember the other questions right now, sorry :)

Marcelo
PostgreSQL DBA
Linux/Solaris System Administrator
http://www.zeroaccess.org