[Pgpool-general] Raw mode instead of connection caching/pooling

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Aug 29 00:15:55 UTC 2008

> > Can you tell more about your experience with connection
> > caching/pooling problem?
>
> Difficult to say - processes would die without logging anything (even
> using debug mode).  It's also random, so duplicating it is difficult.
>
> PgPool is used on a cluster of machines running millions of connections a
> day.  Sometimes the PgPool processes start dying after a few hours, other
> times after a day or two.  I have monitoring scripts checking PgPools
> health, but this is not ideal since it can disrupt long-lived connections,
> etc.

which pgpool process is dying? parent or child? If it's parent, I'm
really interested since I've never heard such reports. If it's child
and you are using prepared queries (JDCB, PDO etc.), please try the
latest 2.1 version. Pre 2.1 has problems (including process dying)
when using prepared queries.