[Pgpool-general] Pgpool-II and Slony-I

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Thu Aug 28 12:50:47 UTC 2008

Supporting md5 auth with pgpool is fundamentally impossible.

1) PostgreSQL send 32bit encryption salt to pgpool

2) pgpool forwards it to client

3) client encrypt password using the salt

4) pgpool forward the encrypted password to PostgreSQL

Problem is, the salt in #1 is a random number and are differ among
PostgreSQL servers. Using different salt produces different encrypted
password in #3. Of course if you have only 1 PostgreSQL server, then
you don't have the problem of course. But with only 1 PostgreSQL you
cannot make master/slave or replication system:-)