[Pgpool-general] Raw mode instead of connection caching/pooling

Henry henry at zen.co.za
Thu Aug 28 08:47:52 UTC 2008

Greetings,

I'd like to try out raw mode (ie, NO connection pooling/caching), but the
documentation doesn't explicitly state how to configure it.

I tried commenting out max_pool, but the default for that option is 4
(correct?).
max_pool = 0 crashes pgpool with "could not create shared memory segment:
Invalid argument".

I'm now trying this:

master_slave_mode = true
load_balance_mode = true
connection_cache  = false
#max_pool        = 0
backend_hostname0 = 'master'
backend_port0     = 5432
backend_weight0   = 0
backend_hostname1 = 'slave0'
backend_port1     = 5431
backend_weight1   = 1

Selects *do* seem to be going to the local slave, while updates are going
to the master.  Is this configuration correct to achieve NO
pooling/caching of connections - ie, always send connections directly to
backends?

Connection caching/pooling is crashing under high volume (even if we set
child_max_connections/connection_life_time/child_life_time), so raw mode
seems like the last resort before we abandon pgpool in favour of an
application rewrite.  We're only really interested in redirecting
UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE anyway, so using raw mode doesn't hurt in our case.

Thanks
Henry