[Pgpool-general] Connecting more then one backend

Boardley, Robert W RWBoardley at west.com
Thu Apr 17 21:27:44 UTC 2008

>On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 10:12 -0500, Boardley, Robert W wrote:
>> I apologize I may have not stated my question correctly. I am in need
>> of a way to create an access server that users log into and that can
>> access multiple independent PostgreSQL servers. I was under the
belief
>> that PGPOOL would fulfill this role. If PGPOOL will fulfill this role
>> then how do I configure it in order to accomplish this need?

>Pgpool can be configured as a load balancer. Is this what you're
>referring to?

Sort of, we are trying to create multiple connection pools for multiple
independant, unrelated database servers. We want our users to be able to
access any of our database servers from a single connection point or in
the future a small group of servers that can act as connection point.

Background: Currently there are only 6 postgresql servers on our
platform (a pilot program for OSS DB), but this will hopefull become a
viable alternative to our 400 ish DB2, Informix, MS SQL, Tandem, Oracle
database servers.

>> Am I mistaken or is there a better solution. I am looking for a
>> product similar to Informix's ISPY.

>No Clue on that.

Bob Boardley
Informix DBA, West Interactive Corporation
402-716-0487 | Cell 402-319-2905 | rwboardley at west.com