[Pgpool-general] Pgpool-general] problem pgpool shutdown

Heiko L. heikol at fh-lausitz.de
Fri Nov 9 21:05:44 UTC 2007

> Each process has connection cache slot. Its size is set by
> max_pool. For example, if max_pool is 3, a process holds three caches
> which are identified by user name and database name.
>
>           | <---> PostgreSQL (user: x, database: y)
>   pgpool-1| <---> PostgreSQL (user: x, database: z)
>           | <---> PostgreSQL (user: y, database: z)
>
> So max_connections in postgresql.conf need to be equal or greater than
> num_init_children * max_pool.

- resume: one pool can handle one user/datebase
- each Client-pgpool-connection create one pgpool-postgres-connection.
  Can many Client-pgpool-connection work together over
  one pgpool-postgres-connection only?

> > Anybody say: pgpool can solved this problem.

> > How to configure pgpool?
> > (see details)
> > With configuration "test 4", pgpool reject all connections after any
hours.

> Do you use persistent connection (pconnect() in PHP)?

exim. Each incoming mail generate one exim-prozess.
Each exim-prozess create one db-connection.

Worstcase: up top 3000  parallel connections are possible.
More as 1000  postgres-connections are not possible. (oom-killer)

I thought  pgpool need only one postgres connection in summary.

regards heiko