[Pgpool-general] PGPool-II production readiness

Jeff Davis pgpool at j-davis.com
Thu May 31 17:53:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-31 at 11:27 -0300, Saulo Gil wrote:
> Hi all,
> We are evaluating different solutions to load balance the (mostly-read)
> database behind our web application, and didn't found any information on
> the web or lists about the production readiness of PGPool-II.
> Anyone want to share comments about using PGPool in a production
> environment ?
> Thank you very much,

I don't run pgpool in production (yet).

However, you might consider Pgpool-II's master/slave mode which is
designed to work with something like Slony-I. In that case, you don't
need to rely on Pgpool-II to replicate the data (slony does the
replication), Pgpool-II just balances the reads. In the unlikely event
that Pgpool-II has a problem, you can just restart it because the data
is safely on other servers. Slony-I is production quality and very
flexible, but it is a little more difficult to administer than plain
replication_mode.

Plain replication_mode might be easier to administer since it doesn't
require Slony-I. It's also synchronous, which means there won't be a
difference in the data between servers. It works in my tests so far.
You'll have to do some testing on your own to make sure that it works
for you though.

I know I didn't quite answer your question. Maybe someone else has some
more useful information.

Regards,
	Jeff Davis