[Pgpool-general] read_kind2: kind does not match between backends master(69) secondary(82)

Sec Updates Account secupdates at gmail.com
Sun May 20 14:45:17 UTC 2007

Hi All ,
I have read through the entire list archives and looked online but
cant seem to get pgpool to work properly.

here's what i have : master & secondary servers , both have same
version of postgres ( 7.4.3 ) and pgpool 3.3

I have created the databases on master then stopped master , copied
files over to secondary and started both , i can access both databases
from master via psql and i can access both databases from secondary
using psql ( i have the server ip addresses set to "trust" each other
in pg_hba.conf  ) . however i still cannot get pgpool to work.

here is my pgpool.conf from master server  :

listen_addresses = '*'
port = 9999
socket_dir = '/tmp'
backend_host_name = ''
backend_port = 5432
backend_socket_dir = '/tmp'
secondary_backend_host_name = 'secondary'
secondary_backend_port = 5432
num_init_children = 32
max_pool = 4
child_life_time = 300
connection_life_time = 0
child_max_connections = 0
logdir = '/tmp'
replication_mode = true
replication_strict = true
replication_timeout = 5000
load_balance_mode = false
weight_master = 20
weight_secondary = 0.5
replication_stop_on_mismatch = false
reset_query_list = 'ABORT; RESET ALL; SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION DEFAULT'
print_timestamp = true
master_slave_mode = false
connection_cache = true
health_check_timeout = 20
health_check_period = 30
health_check_user = 'nobody'
insert_lock = false
ignore_leading_white_space = false
log_statement = true
log_connections = true
log_hostname = true
enable_pool_hba = false

here's my pgpool from secondary server  :
listen_addresses = '*'
port = 9999
socket_dir = '/tmp'
backend_host_name = 'master'
[...]
log_connections = false
log_hostname = true
enable_pool_hba = false

i tried , changing listen address to *
changing check_user to nobody
and many other combinations with no luck.

i still get : .s.PGSQL.5432 fd: 7
2007-05-20 10:41:49 ERROR: pid 10901: read_kind2: kind does not match
between backends master(82) secondary(69)

here's show pool status output from master:
server_status                | master( on 5432) up secondary(secondary
on 5432) up
   | server status

here's show pool status output from secondary :
 server_status                | master(master on 5432) up secondary(
on 5432) up     | server status
(40 rows)

any help or a push in the right direction will be great.