[Pgpool-general] PgPool I/II Advice Required

Bruce McAlister bruce.mcalister at blueface.ie
Wed Mar 14 13:09:37 UTC 2007

Hi All,

We have a requirement where our services need to be available 24/7 and in
case of a failure the downtime needs to be minimal. We have been directed to
use PGPool for the failover/connection pooling features. My question is,
which version of PGPool should we use to test the software, PGPool I or
PGPool II.

We currently have the following scenario:

HOST1:

            PostgreSQL 8.2.3 Live Production

HOST2:

            PostgreSQL 8.2.3 Recovery Mode (Standby Server)

HOST2 is at most 60 seconds out of sync with HOST1 using PostgreSQL WAL
shipping.

What we would like to do is put PGPool in the front with HOST1 defined as
the primary node and HOST2 as the slave node. How would we go about ensuring
that PGPool detects a failure on HOST1 then automatically starts to use
HOST2. Remember though that HOST2 is not available for health checks while
it is in recovery mode, so I assume that PGPool will run in degen mode.
However, when the database on HOST2 does become available will PGPool
automatically start using it, or is it a manual process to get PgPool to
fail over it's connections to HOST2 after it comes out of standby/recovery
mode?

Any and all help/tips/suggestions/comments/criticisms are most welcome.

Thanks

Bruce