[Pgpool-general] Pgpool and/or Slony

Dragan Zubac zubacdragan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 22:42:57 UTC 2007

Hello all

I'm new to PostgreSQL replication solutions,so I'd like to ask a few
questions.We need PostgreSQL solution for real-time data ('stream'),but
would like to have some kind of master/slave solution.For example,one master
server for updates,inserts and stuff,and slave for select queries for
statistical data.Is there a solution to provide replication for PostgreSQL
needed real-time data manipulation ?
We would like the following situation.

Master server A accepts real-time data,and replicate it to slave server
B.But because the vacuum operation is a must in such configuration,we'd like
to be able to switchover server's roles (master->slave,slave->master) but
without  loosing connections from frontends (applications connecting to
databases) ? I think we could accept a few minutes delay between inserting
data to master and slave server,for example each 5th minute for Slony to
replicate data from master to slave,and each 3th minute to go for
statistical select from server B ?
Is there some other solutions which could solve non-interrupted connections
from frontends to backends in PostgreSQL case ?

Sincerely

Dragan