[Pgpool-general] "kind does not match"

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Wed Oct 18 18:14:02 UTC 2006

> googles on this have turned up nothing.
>
> I'm running two instances of PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on the same machine
> (different ports) for evaluation purposes.  pgpool seems to be starting
> fine, but I can't connect with psql:
> # psql -U pgsql -h 127.0.0.1 -p 9999 template1
> psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
>         This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>         before or while processing the request.
>
> Running pgpool with -nd reveals the following error when I try to
> connect:
> 2006-10-18 11:40:03 DEBUG: pid 55189: I am 55189 accept fd 6
> 2006-10-18 11:40:03 DEBUG: pid 55189: Protocol Major: 1234 Minor: 5679 database:  user:
> 2006-10-18 11:40:03 DEBUG: pid 55189: SSLRequest: sent N; retry startup
> 2006-10-18 11:40:03 DEBUG: pid 55189: Protocol Major: 3 Minor: 0 database: template1 user: pgsql
> 2006-10-18 11:40:03 ERROR: pid 55189: read_kind: kind does not match between backends master(82) secondary(69)
>
> What does that mean?  Do I need to provide config files or any more
> information?

I figured it out.  For the archives, when two systems are such that pgpool
can connect to one but not the other, this is the error you get.

As best I can tell, read_kind() tests to ensure that both pooled servers
return the same type of response (i.e. success, failure, etc) and outputs
this error rather generically when they don't.

There could be some additional debugging output added to the calling
functions that are attempting to create the connection.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.