[Pgpool-general] Disable automatic failover

Michal Taborsky - Internet Mall michal.taborsky at mall.cz
Mon Nov 20 15:06:10 UTC 2006

Hello everyone.

We have a master/slave setup replicated by Slony. Pgpool version is
3.1.1, PostgreSQL is 8.1.5.

We were recently bitten by automatic failover of pgpool, because the
slave server is read-only, for obvious reasons. The problem occured,
when pgpool for one reason or the other thought, that the master was
dead (which it was not, but that's besides the point). It started
sending all queries to slave, where all UPDATES and INSERTS failed.

We don't want that. We want the pgpool not to try to be smart and do
only what it is told. Is there a possibility to disable the automatic
failover? Or at least, could pgpool somehow realize what mistake has it
made and switch back to master after few moments?

Thanks for a reply.

--
Michal Táborský
chief systems architect