[Pgpool-general] Clarifying interaction between master/slave mode and automated failover [SumsaultRT #3219]

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Thu May 25 18:17:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 04:40:23PM -0400, Mark Stosberg wrote:

>  2. What's the behavior when failing over from master to slave? Does it
>     still continue to send only SELECTs to the slave, or does it began
> 	to treat it as a master?

I think I found the answer to this here:
http://pgfoundry.org/pipermail/pgpool-general/2005-January/000010.html

Below is a patch to the documentation to improve in this regard.

	Mark

mark at sap$ diff README.orig README
523c523
<    For maintenance purpose, scheduled switching or degenration is
---
>    For maintenance purpose, scheduled switching or degeneration is
526c526
<    $ pgpool [-f config_file] [-s {m[aster]|s[econdary]] switch
---
>    To send both reads and writes only to the secondary:
528,529c528
<    If [-m {s[mart]|f[ast]|i[mmediate]}] part is omitted, master goes
<    down. To stop secondary try:
---
>    $ pgpool [-f config_file] switch
531c530
<    $ pgpool [-f config_file] -s s[econdary] switch
---
>    To switch to using only the master:
533c532
<    Note that "s[econdary]" measn "s" or "secondary".
---